Monday, October 27, 2008

The Motorcycle Saga Begins

So I bought a motorcycle today.  I usually buy vehicles around my birthday, and this year is no exception.  I think I buy a vehicle a year lately it seems, hmmm, I'll ponder that later. The Dent Wizard, paintless dent removal, tech at work said he had this old bike that he intended to fix up and ride but times are tough and he needs money so the bike is for sale.  I find this out from a friend who's wife said quite sternly, "No you can't buy that motorcycle, I don't care how cheap it is!".  My friend with the not so motorcycle friendly wife tells me I should buy it, since I'm looking for a cheap bike so I can learn to ride.  It's an '81 Suzuki GS450L by the way.  How much?  Oh, he was talking about $250, sounded too good to be true, so I asked the Dent Wizard, Brent, and he said he's just going to take it back to Indiana and sell it to his brother to make a go-kart out of it for $350.  I told him I'd give him $400 and I'd fix it up so I could ride it.  A deal was struck, and after much flaking on his part on what time he'd be home my dad and I drove down Sunday morning and picked it up.  Brent lives in a neighborhood that I can't quite describe other than picture one of the worst inner city run down neighborhoods and you'd be close.  The sets from "Training Day" or "The Shield's" Farmington District would be close.  We had the Springfield XD .40S&W in the truck with two magazines loaded, maybe too much, but I wanted some protection in case someone tried to car jack us.   I haven't unloaded the bike yet, my friend James, (the one who wasn't allowed to buy the bike) begged me to bring it to work tomorrow so he could see it.  I'll unload it tomorrow night when I get home.  I'm pretty excited over the whole process, but I'm a little overwhelmed with the idea of learning a new system, motorcycles, and doing a restoration on something I don't really know anything about.  I do have some plans to do a little resto/modification to it, more of a vintage cafe/racer style like my friend Brad at work did to his Suzuki GS650.  I'm attaching a link to my Picasa album about it, and I'll send out updates when I make progress on it.  Thanks for taking the time to read this I know I'm long winded.

No comments: